Google

Sunday, March 30, 2008

Where Are You, Canon HV20?

For the past few days I have been doing some research on the web for a good digital camcorder. The search started when it dawned on me that our old camcorder was no longer up to par with our high-definition lcd tv, we have a Sony Bravia D-series.

I guess the video imperfections are just highlighted on a bigger screen. So much so on a high-definition lcd tv, apparently. Although the videos we took were okay, the graininess was very obvious, especially under an indoor shoot setup, which is most of the time in our case.

Then i realized at that point a new HD camcorder will be forthcoming in our home. So when we were at the mall, i was looking around for HD camcorders. The Sony handycams came into view. The videos shown were pretty impressive. Rich colors, sharp image and very life-like. Cool.

I checked out a few models and remembered them for the next step. What next step? Search the web. Research. It's all there. Other people before you have either bought it or reviewed it so be smart and have fewer regrets. ALWAYS, ALWAYS SEARCH FOR REVIEWS ON THE NET. Go to a lot of sites just to be sure.

And so I diligently Googled "top hd camcorders" and started clicking at least 5-7 sites and read the reviews. I cannot stress enough how important it is that you ALWAYS DO RESEARCH ON THE WEB. We sometimes get that urge to get stuff impulsively. Be patient. Hold off a bit. Be smart and do some research.

This is what i found out. Although i initially liked the Sony handycam because of what i saw in the store, i learned a few things...

1) the AVCHD format of Sony is not very flexible yet, in terms of editing. That this AVCHD is still in its infancy so to speak.
2) HDD (hard disk drive) memory will mean less mini DV tapes to buy, but disk drives will eventually fail and are more sensitive to rough handing (unlike mini DV tape format).

If you can live with that then, the Sony HD handycams are for you. For me, maybe. I'm wary now of that AVCHD, the way the reviews make it sound like its not flexible at all.
Armed with the knowledge now that the mini DV tapes, at least for now, is still the way to go, my choice would be a camcorder that uses mini DV tapes.

I continue my research. It will have a 1 to 1 transfer time if you are planning to put the videos on a computer (that's livable for me), a mini DV tape, by the way, holds an hour long of high def video.

Hmmm...what else is out there? Then I find the Sony HDR-HC5 which is the most acceptable of the bunch, for me. It uses mini DV tape, so it passes my requirements. It does have AVCHD, though but IF i don't do any editing on the video then its okay. So it's a candidate.

What else..... I extend my search to "top high def camcorders" and lo and behold, I come accross the Canon HV20, which got very high marks and comes highly recommended or even editor's top pick here , here and here. So now i'm leaning towards the Canon HV20 more and more.

The Sony HDR-HC5 isn't highly recommended by any of the sites. It was just avarege. Actually, it was very difficult finding reviews for the Sony HDR-HC5. The thing that attracts me to it is the price. It is selling for PhP 34,999 at the local Sony shops so the price is pretty good for me at least in that regard.

Still the Canon HV20 has piqued my interest. Editor's pick. Recommended by at least 3 websites. Looks good! Okay, the Canon it is. A day later I'm at the mall looking for it. Where to look..... i guess i should just go directly to the Canon showroom and check it out there, right?

So I head off to Megamall and i'm indise inside the new Canon showroom. I can't wait to see it! And then bam!... "sorry sir, we don't have that yet.." They don't have it YET??? But the Canon HV20 is already being phased out in the US and is currently being replaced by the Canon HV30.

Actually the Canon HV30 is an improvement of the Canon HV20 so can't go wrong with it. However, if the Canon HV20 is not even available yet, what more the Canon HV30? bummer! Anyway, i still like the Canon HV20 because of the performance and also the price. Oh well, if its not in Canon stores yet, maybe I can find it in Hidalgo, although i'm not sure it they sell camcorders there.

the search continues.


---my canned thoughts


0 comments: